Who's at Risk

Lead poisoning is caused by swallowing or breathing lead. Lead is poison when it gets into the body. Lead can stay in the body for a long time. Young children absorb lead more easily than adults. The harm done by lead does not go away.

Lead in the body can:

  • Hurt the brain, kidneys, and nervous system
  • Slow down growth and development
  • Make it hard to learn
  • Damage hearing and speech
  • Cause behavior problems

The following populations are most at risk of lead poisoning

  • Children under 7 years of age
  • Children who live in or visit a house or rental built before 1978
  • Pregnant women
  • Refugees and Other Newcomer Persons Resettled to the United States

Determine your risk:   contact us today

Children Under the age of 7

Mother holding a baby in her lap while a doctor checks the baby's chest with a stethoscope

Children under 7 are at a higher risk for lead poisoning. They are still growing and developing which makes any level of lead unsafe and can cause serious damage to their brain and nervous system. Children should be tested at 12 and 24 months for lead. CDC Guidelines for testing Children

Pregnant Women

Pregnant Woman facing camera. Her belly is visible

Pregnant women can breathe in and ingest lead which can then be passed on to their baby. If lead is passed onto their baby it can cause serious problems. Pregnant women should be tested for lead. CDC information for pregnant women