St. Joseph County Department of Health
- The St. Joseph County Health Department’s Lead Program offers a variety of services to county residents.
- Free blood-lead tests for children 6 and under
- Free blood-lead tests for pregnant women
- Free lead risk assessments of housing for families with children under 7
- Case management of lead-poisoned children
- Public trainings and educational programs
To schedule a free blood-lead test or to get more information about lead poisoning, contact the Department of Health or call (574) 235-9582
City of South Bend
- The City of South Bend has grants available to assist making your home lead safe. Eligible households can apply to have lead safe repairs completed by qualified contractors at no cost! If you meet the following requirements, you might be eligible:
- Your housing unit was built before 1978 and is located within South Bend city limits,
- Annual household income, for all adults 18 and older, is below 80% of the Area Median Income (AMI) as determined by the Department of Housing and Urban Development – see the table below, and
- A child under 6 lives in or frequently visits the house, or a pregnant woman lives in the house.
Find out more about the lead grant and other resources available through the City.
St. Joe County Public Library
From lending out books to hosting performances, the St. Joseph County Public Library System offers countless resources in our community. We are happy to partner with them and to bring lead screening kits right to you.
Indiana Collaboration for Lead Action and Prevention (ICLAP)
The University of Notre Dame, Indiana University—Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI), Indiana State University, IU School of Medicine—Terre Haute, and the Indiana State Department of Health, with funding from Housing and Urban Development (HUD), have partnered to create the Indiana Collaboration for Lead Action and Prevention. Through this partnership, the University of Notre Dame has been able to expand lead screening kit availability to four Indiana counties, Marion, Vermillion, Vigo, and St. Joseph.
Indiana Health Centers
Indiana Health Centers (IHC) is a Federally Qualified Health Center that provides patient centered care to the citizens of South Bend. IHC provides mental, dental, and behavioral care to all regardless of their ability to pay.
E. Blair Warner
E. Blair Warner is a family medicine clinic with a diverse patient population in South Bend. Their staff consists of RNs, Doctors, MAs, LPNs, Social Workers, Medication Assistance Coordinators, and Financial Advisors.